Robin,

Excellent suggestion.

Oz should be a candidate for this kind of improvement as well, since your
apparently have lots of coal and little methane.

Another more advanced option - assuming that powdered coal still has too much
engrained ash to burn as cleanly as we would like -- is a two-step process
using a "cyclone" type of preburner (modified for the purpose, of course).

The powdered coal would be burned with a little pure oxygen (made at night
during off-peak hours) to form hot CO (carbon monoxide) which is then burned
with air in the topping turbine. The monoxide gas can be produced almost
ash-free this way without expensive pre-processing.

The heavier ash, which is not gasified, will be spun out of the cyclone vortex
and collected, eliminating the need for the high maintenace "bag house" --
which is the after-the-fact solution that many coal plants have adopted.

The cyclone can also be encased in piping to partially raise steam, for even
more efficiency.

Here is a simple version of what I am talking about

http://www.dustcollectorexperts.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/cyclonediag.gif

Jones