Some qualifications and updates follow.

I wrote: "If I-bonds or TIPS are held to maturity, unlike typical bond funds, or even the TIP ETF, no principle can be lost, and they probably gain a lot of interest. I-bonds can be held beyond maturity and still earn interest which is tax sheltered until redemption. Their current interest rate is 4.29 percent." That assumes no premium or commission is paid, i.e. the bonds purchased through the treasury, which repays the principle in full at maturity, and pays interest in addition. The interest rate earned on I-bonds I purchased around that time, early 2008, has since increased to over 6%. I expect that to drop if/as deflation sets in for a bit. There has been a huge appetite for US bonds of all types, so they demand a high premium in the open market presently, so some principle is at risk if bonds are purchased in that manner.

The current I-bond rates are at:

http://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv/research/indepth/ibonds/ res_ibonds_iratesandterms.htm

http://tinyurl.com/284vou

The current fixed rate portion (of interest) is only 0.7% (it was 1.2% last year this time.) To that rate the CPI inflation rate is added (which at the moment is 4.92% annually, giving over 6% interest when added to a fixed rate of 1.2%.) However, the inflation could in fact go negative at some point. The interest paid is not allowed below zero, but I-bonds could actually end up yielding no interest in a significantly deflating economy. The purchasing value of the bonds would still be increasing even if that happened. Since some US bonds are selling at negative yields, a fixed rate of 0.7%, which will remain in effect for a bit, is a real bargain basement deal in this kind of market.

Best regards,

Horace Heffner
http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/