Nick Palmer is probably itching to say this.

We have left out a key point in this discussion. Even though consensus is secondary evidence, and not as satisfactory as direct experimental data, there are times when we must depend upon it. In the case of global warming, we cannot do a planetary scale experiment to find out if the global warming hypothesis is true, so we must settle for computer models, consensuses among experts, and so on.

(To be more exact we are already doing a planetary scale experiment but that is not a good idea, and besides if it turns out badly enough we will not survive to take data, so it is an unsatisfactory experimental technique.)

There are many other instances in which we cannot do a confirmation experiment at some stage, and we must depend upon consensus. Suppose, for example, in the early stages of a research project a committee has assembled to decide whether to fund experiment A or B. They have to use their best judgment and go by consensus because no one knows in advance which is better. You have to do them both to find out for sure. If you already knew there would be no need to call the committee meeting.

In some instances we must rely upon reputation rather than consensus. In the initial stages of cold fusion in March 1989, most decisions to go ahead with replication attempt were predicated upon Fleischmann's reputation. Reputation is a poor method of judging an experiment. It is even worse than consensus. But it is better than nothing.