Jed Rothwell wrote:
> The Kindle 2 screen size is 4.8" high, 3.6" width, 6" diameter (15.3 cm
> diameter). The weight is just over 10 oz (280 g). This is about the same
> page size and weight as a 517-page paperback book on my shelf. (A book
> by David Hume.)

I don't generally carry 500+ page books around with me.  I choose
slimmer volumes when I'm going out.

> Paperback book size (h, w): 7" x 4", 1.25" thick, page size excluding
> margins: 6" x 3.5"

Palm Pilot size:

4 3/4" x 3" x 5/8" thick

Palm wins running away.

> Kindle 2 overall gadget size: 8" x 5.3", 0.36" thick, page size
> excluding gadget 4.8" x 3.6" (as I said) So it is about an inch shorter.

But it's an inch longer than the book, and it's an inch wider -- and the
book was already awkwardly large for a lot of pockets.  (Compared to a
Palm Pilot, the Kindle is an outrageous pig.)

This sounds to me like it's too big to fit in a pocket.  Consequently, a
Palm Pilot is far more useful in many circumstances, even with its
wretched screen and lousy OS.

A Kindle at home takes the place of a book (which I can easily carry
around the house) or a computer screen (which is already in the house).
 A Kindle on-the-go doesn't take the place of anything; it's too big so
I'd leave it home.

So, right now it's just a toy: it does jobs which other things we
already had also do, but doesn't do those job a whole lot better than
what we already had.

A Palm Pilot at home takes the place of a book, and on the go it does
too, because it's small enough to take along easily.  So, it does a job
things we already had do *not* do:  It lets me take along large books in
a format that fits easily in a pocket.

Consequence:  I bet there are a lot of Kindles gathering dust.

Wake me up when they make folding Kindles, right not I'm not interested,
thanks.