Horace:
Have you ever been to Kodiak Island?

-Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: Horace Heffner [mailto:hheff...@mtaonline.net]
Sent: Tuesday, March 10, 2009 8:22 AM
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
Subject: Re: [Vo]:Sakaurajima volcano erupts

On Mar 10, 2009, at 5:59 AM, Jed Rothwell wrote:

> A Meteorological Agency video camera captured dramatic images of a
> volcano erupting a few hours ago in Japan, at 6 am local time. The
> video is here at the Asahi newspaper website (text in Japanese):
>
> http://www.asahi.com/video/news/TKY200903100244.html
>
> The location is at Sakurajima, Kagoshima pref. in south Kyuushu.
>
> A Met. Agency official is quoted in paragraph 1: "There have been no
> volcano related earthquakes, tremors or other indications that a large
> scale eruption is likely, so we do not think that citizens need to
> evacuate at this time."
>
> The latest eruption is 2.5 km from the nearest settlement, where 15
> people live.
>
> - Jed

The latest volcano to threaten my location is 9,000 ft high Mt.
Redoubt, even though I live about 200 miles away:

http://www.skimountaineer.com/ROF/NorAm/Redoubt/RedoubtPlume.jpg

As you can see, the volcanoes here are more about ash plumes than lava. The
last eruption dumped ash
over a 20,000 km^2 area.  See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Redoubt_(Alaska)

Best regards,