mix...@bigpond.com wrote:
> Hi,
> [snip]
>> But inertial propulsion systems proposed here don't work with parts
>> moving at relativistic speeds -- or at any rate nothing I've seen
>> mentioned recently in this group did.  But maybe I'm just confused about
>> this.
>>
> All speeds are relativistic. The relativistic effect is the origin of kinetic
> energy.

Ah, c'mon, you know what I mean....

"Relativistic speeds" are such that the terms which are second order in
the velocity start to matter.  To first order in (v/c)^2,

gamma = 1/sqrt(1-(v/c)^2) ~ 1 + (1/2)(v/c)^2

and as long as v << c you can ignore the (v/c)^2 term and get answers
which are accurate to within the errors in your measurements.  When
speeds are "relativistic" you can't ignore the (v/c)^2 term anymore, or
risk getting results which are outside your error bars.

And as long as we can ignore the terms in (v/c)^2 then the kinetic
energy is close enough to (1/2)mv^2 that we can take that as exact.

IOW it's only when v gets to a significant fraction of a percent of c
that Newton's laws start to look blurred.  Certainly, to pick one
example (made purely of straw), the Dean drive didn't move anything
nearly fast enough to qualify for the need for a relativistic correction.

In general, anything made of macroscopic mechanical parts which you can
actually operate in a laboratory is going to be operating in the domain
where Newton's laws are (apparently) exact.