-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff Fink [mailto:rev...@ptd.net]
Sent: Monday, April 27, 2009 9:21 PM
To: 'g...@resist.ca'
Subject: RE: [Vo]:Not what Algore wanted to hear

Solar electric, I read, uses indium which is in short supply and isn't even
mineable.  The production process releases some kind of hexafluoride
chemical that causes an atmospheric problem.  The panels use more
electricity to produce than they save over a lifetime.  They deteriorate
over time. There are overwhelming transmission losses in any grid that could
get the power from the day side of the planet to the night side.  Need I go
on?

These are technical problems that could some day be overcome.  My point is:
They are here and now serious problems, and afaik their solutions are not on
the horizon.

I'm a slow typist.  Let me know if I must respond to solar thermal and wind
power to.

These alternatives cannot compete economically with present generating
methods unless they are heavily subsidized by the government. So we have a
choice.  We can pay $1.00 per kwh to the power company or pay some portion
of it to the tax man.  Which do you prefer?