Hi,
[snip]
>>> Unfortunately, Nitinol is subject to hydrogen embrittlement.  Here is
>>> an interesting solution:
>>>
>>> http://www.finishing.com/381/17.shtml
>>>
>>> "It was found some years ago that hydrogen embrittlement could be
>>> alleviated by ion implanting the surface with platinum. The
>>> embrittlement comes from atomic hydrogen diffusing into the surface,
>>> not molecular hydrogen. Platinum acts as a catalyst, accelerating the
>>> recombination of atomic hydrogen into molecular hydrogen.
>>
>> It seems to me that this rather defeats the purpose. The whole
>> purpose of the
>> cathode is to create *atomic* hydrogen. It's the atoms that are
>> needed for the
>> fusion process, not the molecules.
>
>That is why I *explicitly* stated in that regard "Unfortunately,
>hydrogen in molecular form has little prospect for fusion."

Sorry, I didn't read that far. I guess I just didn't expect you to first propose
the platinum treatment as a solution to embrittlement only to then point out the
flaw in the process.

>I would also note that adsorbed hydrogen is in an *ionic* state, not
>an atomic state.

... nuclei leaving the lattice can grab a free electron on the way out.

>The diffusing hydrogen nuclei are principally
>ionically bound to conduction band electrons.

Is this a description of metallic Hydrogen (since the same can be said of metal
atoms in a metal)?

>Molecular hydrogen plus atomic hydrogen may catalyze hydrinos,

I don't think so. The Hydrogen molecule isn't a Mills catalyst AFAIK. However
the Hydrogen atom itself may be/is (at least when there are two them acting
together, i.e. three individual atoms in all [not two of them combined in a
molecule]).

>so
>ionic hydrogen driven through such a layer could constitute a hydrino
>factory.
>Once formed, hydrinos should diffuse through the lattice
>rapidly.   Other catalysts (than Pd) might be of similar use as well,
>but with improved characteristics. It has already been shown that
>driving hydrogen through layers of material (e.g. CaO) within Pd
>causes transmutation.
>The point of my post is merely that it is
>reasonable to investigate other than pure elemental lattices, like
>Pd, Ni, Al, and Ti, for supporting transmutation layers,  and
>superelastic metals provide a sensible place to begin a search due to
>their favorable characteristics.

This I agree with.
[snip]
Regards,