As the smoke cleared, mix...@bigpond.com <mix...@bigpond.com>
mounted the barricade and roared out:

> >> If we continued to use fossil fuels as our energy source, at the current
> >> rate of energy consumption, until all the oxygen in the atmosphere had been
> >> used up (assuming none of it were recycled by nature), then it would take
> >> 40000 years to use it up.
> >

> >In the blink of an eye, in other words. And long before we use it up the
> >effects would be catastrophic.

Again: the problem is not so much the anarchic human abuse of the World's
physical
resources as it is the quality of the social system which allows such a
pathological
situation to continue. I'm sure it is teknikally feasible to sequester carbon
-- or
do whatever makes sense with it -- or even force-feed the plankton in the
World's
oceans for that matter, etc., etc. The problem, however, remains the nature of
those
who continue to rule the Planet in their own very selfish and narrow interests.

And these are the same people who have been sitting on all your own necks this
whole
while, BTW.

> One other point. The fossil fuels will be exhausted long before then, putting
> an
> automatic end to the practice anyway. Oil may only last another 20-30 years,
> and
> coal maybe 300 years. I repeat - Oxygen consumption is a red herring.
> BTW 40000 years is not the blink of an eye. If archeologists find anything
> that
> old, they consider themselves extremely lucky. Modern science basically
> started
> just a few hundred years ago, and we are already discovering CF. Imagine how
> much further along we will be after just 1000 years of scientific advancement,
> let alone 40000.

Assuming we even make it thru the next 100 years.

- -- grok.

- --
Build the North America-wide General Strike.

TODO el poder a los consejos y las comunas.
TOUT le pouvoir aux conseils et communes.
ALL power to the councils and communes.