Unfortunately, here is were politics get into the act and this is why politics need to be discussed if any sense is to be made of the energy problem. The US will not and cannot give up the use of coal. Too many jobs are at risk and the material supplies too much energy that cannot be replaced rapidly. The other energy sources you suggest will gradually take the place of coal. Meanwhile, the government has to make political points by pandering to the coal industry. The country is locked into many political approaches, both energy as well as foreign policy (i.e. Israel), that cannot be changed without overwhelming objection, regardless of the advantages. Once a country starts down a path based on irrational beliefs, it is doomed. We started on this path about 10 years ago with respect to outsourcing of manufacturing, energy sources, banking policy, and Middle East policies. There is no turning back until the resulting pain gets so bad that changes must be made. We are not there yet, but these times are rapidly approaching. The only defense is to be located, both physically and financially, in a safe place. Science is not going to solve this problem because it takes too long to be implemented. We have run out of time. Anything we do now is simply like rearranging the chairs on the Titanic while debating how the ship should have been better designed. As the ship gets lower in the water, you will hear the debate getting louder and louder, but with the obvious consequence. The people who are not yelling at each other are spending their energy finding life boats. Sorry to be so depressing, but these are the times we are experiencing.

Ed