Edmund Storms wrote:

Perhaps someone can contact this person and advise him to do a little
homework about the subject before he embarrasses himself further.

Lederman (Nobel laureate in physics) is one of these people who cannot back down and admit he is wrong. He has staked his reputation on the demise of cold fusion. He wrote a blurb on the back of Taubes' book, for example.

Looking at these people, digging themselves in ever deeper, I sometimes think of what Macbeth said after making irrevocable choices. He sees Banquo's ghost and is then determined only to make things worse, first by going back to the Weird Sisters for more bad advice:

And betimes I will, to the weird sisters:
More shall they speak; for now I am bent to know,
By the worst means, the worst. For mine own good,
All causes shall give way: I am in blood
Stepp'd in so far that, should I wade no more,
Returning were as tedious as go o'er:
Strange things I have in head, that will to hand;
Which must be acted ere they may be scann'd.