On Jul 3, 2009, at 8:06 PM, mix...@bigpond.com wrote:

Hi,
[snip]
However, 1 g of hydrogen unexpectedly set off in lattice by the
volume effect of polarized x-rays

Where does this come from?

My fertile imagination. 8^)

It comes from the concept that deflated hydrogen is a magnetic
dipole, and thus the probability of its wave function collapse
(tunneling) into a nearby nucleus within a fully loaded lattice is
thus improved by a magnetic gradient,

...but wouldn't that gradient need to exist between the particle and the
nucleus?

Any hydrogen in a fully loaded lattice is surrounded by atoms in all quadrants. Further, even as charged particles, hydrogen can readily tunnel the distances between lattice sites, this at thermal potential energies of only mV involved. The lattice atoms are even closer, but from a tunneling perspective, only to a neutral particle, because the Coulomb barrier and the small size of the nearby nuclei make the ordinary probability of transmutation events small. This barrier is dropped with respect to deflated hydrogen, and enhanced by a magnetic field gradient.

and very large such gradients
can be supplied by coherent polarized x-rays.

This I don't understand. Do you have a reference for the simple of mind? ;)

Sorry, no reference handy. However, IIRC, typical x-rays can produce magnetic gradients on the order of mT/cm. FEL lasers can produce gradients on the order of a million times greater, or kT/cm. This of course is major overkill. I think various CF experiments have shown positive effects from magnetic *fields* on the order of 0.2 T. My supposition, based on the deflated hydrogen hypothesis, is the it was not the magnetic field, but rather the magnetic gradient that was effective, and the gradients involved were likely less than .02 T/ cm^2 due to a lack of intent to maximize the gradient within the cathode. The cathodes are typically placed between the poles of two magnets, thereby essentially minimizing the gradient there. I expect the gradient within the cathode can be made over 100 times that 0.2 T/cm^2, using even permanent magnets, in experiments designed to meet that objective. A FEL laser output in addition to that would be additive, and has the additional benefits of being able to tune the frequency of oscillating electrostatic and magnetic fields deep within the lattice, and thus the possibility of tuning in to a particle-lattice resonance.

Description and some
justification for the concept is found here:

http://www.mtaonline.net/%7Ehheffner/DeflationFusion2.pdf

[snip]
Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk