Harvey, a shorted transformer secondary under normal conditions won't be a
lighter load on the prinary.
I was speaking of generators not transformers.

However if the transformer is current limited and has core losses then
shorting the secondary won't draw more current through the primary and if
the core losses are bad then shorting the secondary will cause it's 180
degrees flux to counter the primaries changing flux which will reduce the
core losses.

Harvey, you are far better at working on this kind of thing than I.
I have an idea, take a ferrite rod, wrap 2 coils, through one put a lower
frequency of say 500hz-6khz (even 50-60hz will do) and through the other put
a high frequency, 180khz would be nice but anything that is high.

You would then make an air core coil and tuning capacitor (or tuning
inductor) to tune to the high frequency, try to get the Q quite high and yet
have the pickup coil reasonably distant.
Then make another air core coil to pickup the lower frequency and connect to
a load, this coil should be slightly larger and if possible reject the
higher frequency.

I believe that if done right the lower frequencies inductive effects can be
increased by the tuned reception of the high frequency, preferably the high
frequency coil would sit inside the low frequency coil.