On Aug 10, 2009, at 4:40 PM, Alexander Hollins wrote:

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/08/hummingearth/

In an upshot, theres a constant roughly 10 millihertz hum worldwide,
detectable by seisometers, that goes up and down.  its created by...
WAVE ACTION.  that is, waves in the ocean.  And its rise and fall and
appearance in different areas inland is caused by storms and such
moving main masses around. Thought some here might find that
interesting, in comparison to THE HUM.

I've often wondered if the Taos hum is due to synchronization of electric transmission lines throughout the western US. If you put water in a pan and tap the handle you see the waves converge amplified in the middle. If every electric motor, and every transformer around for hundreds of miles is synchronized, then the cumulative effect in producing sound could be large, especially if there is a large radius comparatively devoid of devices surrounding the hearing point and then a large circumference of active electrical devices.

This makes me wonder what the Kepler might see on some distant planet surface.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/space/08/08/space.kepler.discovery/

http://tinyurl.com/kqj93g

If a well developed planet is using an electric grid, its distribution frequency will likely be in the 50-60 Hz range, the best trade-off frequency as calculated by Steinmetz for GE I think. If it uses an AC lighting system, perhaps the night side will show this low frequency amplitude modulation of its night lighting. I don't know if Kepler could detect this kind of thing, or the flashes of huge lasers, whether intentionally aimed here, or involved in laser wars...

Best regards,

Horace Heffner
http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/