from the Sept. 2009 issue of Physics Today:

Physicist Steven Koonin takes on a new role as DOE’s ‘technical conscience’

http://ptonline.aip.org/journals/doc/PHTOAD-ft/vol_62/iss_9/26_1.shtml

"PT: What about fusion?"
"KOONIN: Speaking for myself, I’d like to see more focus and drive in
our fusion programs than we’ve had in the past. ITER is going to turn on
in perhaps 2020-something, in terms of [achieving] a real burning
plasma. That’s too long. We should be looking for ways to accelerate
that, or perhaps exploring other methods to get at fusion energy.
Inertial fusion energy is another option that the department is pursuing
through the NNSA [National Nuclear Security Administration] and at the
­National Ignition Facility. I would keep an eye on NIF as perhaps
offering an alternative route to fusion energy."

Harry