At 10:30 AM 9/6/2009, Jed Rothwell wrote:
The Wikipedia Review has a lot Wikipedia jargon I do not understand and references to people and events I am unfamiliar with. But there are some good essays there, especially this one:

<http://wikipediareview.com/blog/20081106/181/>http://wikipediareview.com/blog/20081106/181/

Some good in that, some blindness.

This seems right on the mark to me.

I long ago concluded that if I ran into someone who was perfect, and who wrote an essay about something where I had some knowledge -- even a great deal of knowledge -- I'd surely disagree with some of it.

It discusses some issues that I have never understood about the Wikipedia philosophy, especially the notion that there can be a single "neutral point of view" (NPOV) or that if there were one, it would a good idea if everyone went along with it.

Actually, that's not exactly the idea.

This seems to deny that conflict and real differences of opinion can exist, and that there are many unanswered questions out there, such as whether cold fusion produces neutrons or whether the neutrons have any connection to the heat.

And since that's silly, that isn't what is meant. Good principle: if what someone believes seems completely silly, you probably don't understand it! It's only when you can understand why the person believes it that it becomes possible to truly criticize.

It seems clear to me that the best way to deal with disagreements is to let both sides state their case separately, and let the reader decide. In the case of the cold fusion article, I would let the people who think the effect is real write one paragraph, and the people who disagree write another paragraph. The formulation of both arguments should satisfy those who make the arguments, not those who disagree with them.

That's the fallacy of "equal time." First of all, you should understand that Wikipedia is trying to create an "encyclopedia," in quite the traditional sense. This is not what we'd expect of, say, the Encyclopedia Britannica, so why would you expect it of Wikipedia?

Lots of newcomers or casual editors of Wikipedia don't get this. It's very understandable. Wikipedia bills itself as "the encyclopedia that anyone can edit, the sum of all human knowledge." It's a little misleading until the particular meanings placed on the words are understood. "Sum" means "summary," and that implies some level of exclusion. What's the standard for inclusion? There are two answers:

In theory, if a fact is found in "reliable source," it is thus "verifiable," and can -- and should -- be included. For science articles the RS guidelines suggest that peer-reviewed secondary sources are the gold standard, as well as academic publications. Basically, if it's found in a review in a peer-reviewed journal, it's reported. That does *not* mean that it's presented as a pure fact. That's where we need to understand NPOV. Nevertheless, the problem here is not the theory, the theory is fine. The problem is practice, so:

In practice, editors with some axe to grind, especially if they are in the majority, where knee-jerk majority opinion will support them, can bias articles and keep them that way.

The latter problem is the problem with the cold fusion article. The wikitheory is just fine, except that structure to resolve disputes was inadequate and not widely understood. (It's adequate, were it followed, but because it is not widely understood, it is not followed. The noticeboard that the essay talks about, Administrators' Noticeboard/Incidents, isn't part of dispute resolution process, it's where you go when someone is being disruptive to get them blocked, or an article protected, or the like. Obviously, you don't find consensus by blocking people, you create bias. Sometimes blocking is necessary, but it's highly undesirable.

Jimbo Wales did have the right idea, but that idea depends on good consensus process being in place, and these were not people very much experienced with that kind of process outside of, say, the open source software community, where there is a very strong uniting ideal. What's known is that in small groups, you can almost always find consensus, but it takes a lot of discussion. And the community as it is has little patience for the kind of careful discussion necessary.

The goal of the discussion must be agreement, not victory for one POV or the other. My contention in the current Request for Arbitration was that we only can be certain of NPOV if everyone agrees with the text. That's possible if there is a good shared understanding of the guidelines on sourcing, so we would know, at the outset, what sources are usable. Then it is just a matter of framing. Do we say that "excess heat is highly correlated with helium,[ref]" or do we say that "According to Storms (2007), excess heat is highly correlated with helium.[ref]" Both are true, in fact, but the second will be more acceptable to a skeptic.

The Cab, however, doesn't want to say it at all, because they reject Storms as "fringe," which is not part of the reliable source guidelines at all. It's their POV. They are actually losing on this, don't be fooled by my being banned; that's a complex political issue. They will not be able to continue what they did, I more or less set off a bomb in the middle of it; right now it looks like the administrator who banned me from cold fusion, WMC, will lose his admin privileges for his actions in this case, and, Jed, you are a little less likely to have all your IP contributions edited out and kept out. You may still be immediately reverted, but, then, others may be able to bring them back in, in whole or in part, because of the fallout of this case.

I wouldn't have started the whole thing if I expected to lose. And if I'd been attached to my personal role as an editor, I'd not have been able to be bold enough to pull this off. The cold fusion article will now be, once this case closes, covered by discretionary sanctions, which the people who don't believe in cold fusion think will make it easier to keep CF stuff out, but the reality is that the neutral editors and administrators will recognize reliable source according to the guidelines. It's already happened, someone took the ACS Sourcebook to the Reliable Source Noticeboard and it was overwhelmingly considered reliable source. That contains reviews, Jed. It's not going to be possible to keep the cold fusion resurrection out. They got rid of me, for a while or maybe forever, doesn't matter, but I was just the tip of the iceberg, it would be like the Titanic blowing off the top of the approaching berg with a cannon. There! Fixed that problem! (Crash!).

Take a look at the discussion. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:RSN#Low_Energy_Nuclear_Reactions_Sourcebook (Because that will be arhcived, I'll give a permanent link to today's state: http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia:Reliable_sources/Noticeboard&oldid=312265882#Low_Energy_Nuclear_Reactions_Sourcebook It's still possible that the Cab will appear and try to disrupt this, and they are reading this list, but when you are working for large-scale consensus, you don't sweat the little skirmishes. They will exhaust themselves trying to fight overall consensus. They are losing, Jed, because you have reality on your side. Eventually, society figures that out, it's only frustrating because of how slow it is.

For example, going back to the first controversy in the field (which lives on today) If cold fusion researchers think that the heat proves there is a nuclear reaction despite the lack neutrons, a paragraph in the article should say this, explicitly. And if skeptics believe the heat must be an experimental artifact because there are no neutrons (Huizenga's thesis), another paragraph should say so. Neither side should erase the other, or restate the other side's arguments. People should agree to disagree. The Wikipedia method appears to be to find middle ground that expresses opposing ideas in a single paragraph.

That's true where an article has become a battleground. Wikipedia process, compared to what it could be, and to use technical language, sucks. They wanted me banned because I was beginning to be effective. With JzG, they laughed and joked about how I was beating a dead horse. Well, the horse woke up and bit JzG's head off. So to speak. So they started taking the danger more seriously. Still not seriously enough, they failed to warn WMC.

I'm still pretty involved, because I've spent the last two years working intensively on Wikipedia. But I have, in fact, moved on, my planning is going in two directions: the cold fusion kit project, about which there are some encouraging signs, and facilitating -- not controlling! -- the kind of off-wiki structures that will be necessary for the community to wake up and make Wikipedia what the original vision contemplated, which is much, much better than the reality. Jed, you ran into the reality.

 As the critic who wrote the above essay said:

". . . it would appear that the central policy of WP requires WP editors to construct a "neutral" viewpoint that somehow through some wiki-magic absorbs bits from the various contending viewpoints, giving no 'undue weight' to any of the contending views, but still manages to be a viewpoint all its own. This way madness lies."

The essayist didn't understand. There is a construction project, all right, but what is constructed is text, not a POV. To the degree that the text enjoys consensus, to that degree we can be certain it is "NPOV." That is, the POVs remain in place, but the *editors* who hold these POVs all agree that the text is fair and balanced, *according to what is found in reliable sources.*

It's possible to accomplish this or at least to approach it. Is 90% enough? The percentage must be high enough that it is easy to defend the article; the reasonable editors from the minority POV will take care of their own extreme editors, because they will not want to destabilize the consensus, negotiated with such effort. They will channel these editors into ways of constructive contribution. Without this kind of community consensus, every controversial article becomes a battleground, and burns out editors and administrators.

Jimbo in 2003 pointed out that people who hold minority positions, such as fringe science POVs, know that their opinions are fringe. One of the easiest things for the Cab to do has been to put text in the article saying that cold fusion is rejected by the mainstream. How? Well, believers in cold fusion have said this over and over, in reviews! One of the things I was doing was challenging this, because the 2004 DoE review clearly established that there was no scientific consensus that cold fusion is pathological science. And, I suspect, a review like that today, especially if done more carefully, would be, I'm sure, majority "nuclear in origin." (after all, this could be huge, isn't it worth at least a week or longer, with committees that seek consensus, like the IPCC global warming stuff, when they say "likely," they actually mean (97% likely), it's defined.)

The Cab has been -- not just with cold fusion, but in many places -- keeping any kind of fringe opinion or peer-reviewed research out of the encyclopedia, or framing it all in offensive ways. They don't care about consensus, because they have administrators who will block an editor for edit warring, and they can suck most editors into edit warring by tag-teaming. (I.e., getting around the edit warring restrictions by having multiple friends watching an article so that anything contrary to the Cab position gets reverted out.

Cold fusion was really a backwater for these people, the center of the Cab I identified was the Global warming article, where they steadfastly denigrate or exclude any criticism of the politically correct view. And I happen to agree with the PC view! But I also know that you harm public discussion and science by repressing dissent. It's an old story.

Anyways, this is getting seriously off topic, since this is not a Wikipedia discussion forum.

Yeah. But we've had some interesting events relating to cold fusion -- and it affects other topics of interest to this gorup, such as BlackLight Power or hydrino theory, or any wild ideas. I certainly don't intend to keep discussing Wikipedia here, but, as a bit of an expert on the topic ....