This just in from Vince Dinglelint, reporter at large, reporting somewhere,
from an undisclosed time and location in the future.

Part 3 of 3 concerning:

What happened to Homo Sapiens?

Those who stayed on Earth seemed to have felt a sacred obligation to
maintain the "purity" of the genetic stock pertaining to the race of Homo
sapiens. They avoided major redesigns - at least that was their intention.
They focused on implementing minor "improvements" here and there. Of course
what might be considered an improvement versus a major revision of the
chassis was continuously subject to debate. For example, is it a minor tweak
to purge our genes of a list of pet peeves? What about all those annoying
physical flaws like diabetes, senility, arthritis, or an assortment of
embarrassing sexual dysfunctions. How about tweaking the genes to extend the
average life span another thousand years? The rules were occasionally bent.
Inevitably, all of this "tweaking" had an accumulative effect. The purity of
our race changed right along with everyone else in the galaxy.

In spite of this, even though we changed, we continued holding onto a
reverent belief that Earth, the Home World was the original spawning grounds
for Homo Sapiens. We were the sacred Garden of Eden. Despite the fact that
many, if not most, of our children had lost touch with the Home World, we
continued to regard ourselves as special. It gave us a way to stick out from
the rest of the riff raff. It defined who we were as a species, how special
we were. It gave us purpose.

Then, one fateful day, a momentous discovery was made. Buried deep within
untouched metamorphosed rock estimated to be at least three billion years
old, an archeologist made a rude discovery. It wasn't terribly impressive as
artifacts go. It was nevertheless remarkable to have survived, buried under
thousands of feet of highly compressed solid rock for billions of years. I
was nothing more than a small capsule, a pellet. It was perfectly intact,
and unopened. It was also unmistakably artificial.

Using unobtrusive scanning techniques to peer within the capsule's locked
confines scholars and scientists discovered a familiar organic composition -
DNA. A string of chromosomes were embedded within an inert material
perfectly preserving the coded sequence of genes. Curiously, the arrangement
of genes when analyzed were quickly determined not to have been constructed
in a manner that would have given it much of a chance of surviving had the
combination been unleashed. It was highly unlikely that the genetic contents
would have contaminated our virgin world, altering the course of our
evolution. It was more in the way coded patterns had been arranged that
disturbed everyone. Perhaps, it had something to do with the fact that we
had always felt we were special, that we were the origin of all life
throughout the galaxy. When decoded, the best translation seemed to state:
"We, the #...@# stake claim to this terraformed world. All rights,
reserved." We, the most sacred world in all the galaxy, the original Garden
of Eden, had been under contract.

We no longer had any purpose. Worse yet, we realized that for hundreds and
thousands of years, a fervent belief in our purpose to maintain the "purity"
of our heritage had been badly misinterpreted. We had worshiped and pursued
a lie.

A curious thing happened at that point in our evolutionary history. Perhaps
it was augmented by all the accumulated combinations and re-combinations of
genetic manipulation that had been going on for hundreds and thousands of
years that assisted in the inevitable singularity. I really don't know for
sure. What I do know, or rather, what my conscious memories of that brief
encounter 1.2 million years in the future managed to retain was the notion
that we suddenly lost all interest in maintaining any sense of physical
form. We also severed all contact with the outside world, not that any of
our neighbors took notice. We systematically started letting go of all
semblance of who and what we thought we were as a species. Last of all, we
eventually let go of attachments to all of our previous beliefs, thoughts,
and thought forms. We were lost children trying to find our way through an
uncharted forest.

I believe when I met "them" 1.2 million years in the future, "they" were
still wandering through their uncharted forest. I didn't sense any
experiences or emotions akin to what we might interpret as feelings of
"loss" or "remorse". I only sensed an infinite unbounded state of curiosity.
There was also no trace of individuality left. There was no longer a
practical need to maintain boundaries of physical contrivance, be they
mental, emotional, or physically contrived. I felt no underlying beliefs or
attitudes guiding their curiosity. There was only a continuum of unbounded
pure awareness. It felt as if I had come home to a place where I no longer
needed to maintain or defend any pretenses whatsoever. It engulfed my
identity. It was utterly terrifying.

And then, I was suddenly ripped out from this absolute state of existence
and sent back to my time environment, back to those of my own kind. I didn't
know whether to feel grateful having been rescued from this eternal
continuum, or to have felt violated having been banished from it. All I
could do was attempt to pick up the pieces of what might be left of "me".

An odd thing about the on-going process of trying to put myself back
together is that every time I think I've relocated a missing part, I'm not
so sure it's worth putting back. What purpose would it serve to
reincorporate it?

These days, I seem to spend a lot of time languishing in a passive state of
curiosity, followed by random bouts of creative research. I watch myself,
especially my behavior. I watch the occasionally quirky actions and
behaviors of others as well. I'm occasionally motivated to interject a
comment or two, such as what I occasionally do within the context of this
electronic forum. I don't know if what I have to say is useful information
to others, or not. There remains something akin to a fossilized ego that
hopes my occasionally incessant commentary is important. But as the days
pass by, even that hope seems to become less relevant. It serves no useful
purpose other than to worship another mirage. I continue chiseling away at
mirages.

The gift (or curse) "they" left me with seems to be the notion that in the
end, what "I" am is nothing more, as well as nothing less than a simple
witness to my surroundings. It would seem that we are all nothing more than
curious witnesses to the surroundings we find ourselves wandering through.
To bear witness...to be curious needs no justification. As a simple witness
I am also free to acknowledge the fact that I'm totally lost, lonely, and
even frightened as any child might feel when inexplicitly separated from
their parents. I'm content to continue wandering through this uncharted
forest for which the fates seem to have cast me in. There are even pleasant
surprises along the way, especially my encounters with other curious
"witnesses" who also find themselves wandering through the same uncharted
forest as I.

Signed,

Vince Dinglelint

---