On Oct 16, 2009, at 2:26 PM, mix...@bigpond.com wrote:

Hi,
[snip]

Magnetic monopoles detected in a real magnet for the first time

Researchers from the Helmholtz Centre Berlin, in cooperation with
colleagues from Dresden, St. Andrews, La Plata and Oxford, have for the
first time observed magnetic monopoles and how they emerge in a real
material. They publish this result in the journal Science within the
Science Express web site on Sept. 3.

more
http://www.physorg.com/news171209923.html

Without reading the original paper, my guess is that what they really have is long spaghetti like dipoles. IOW I think the strings have a North pole on one
end and a South pole on the other end.
Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk

http://rvanspaa.freehostia.com/Project.html

I'm fairly sure this is true. There is no net monopole, no accumulation of one pole or the other feasible by this means. However, this doesn't prevent the poles from moving around inside the condensed matter in an independent manner, thus generating magnetic current. What is amazing to me is the fact such long filaments, which must be the equivalent of superconducting solenoids in the shape of spaghetti, can be so long and flexible and have the ability to freely move through condensed matter. It makes me wonder if there might exist a dual universe, where electric charge and magnetic charge have been exchanged.

Best regards,

Horace Heffner
http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/