Hi,
[snip]
>This has been causing a stir lately. See:
>
>http://www.emdrive.com/
>
>http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2009/10/impossible-drive-designers-dream-flying-cars-stealth-missiles/

Quote:

>The craft will have no wings: It will be supported by the Emdrives and
>propelled by jet engines to about 230 knots. It will be capable of vertical
>takeoff and hovering silently in place. If successful, it will be adapted as a
>personal transport -– your very own flying car.
>
>In the longer run, perhaps 10 years, Shawyer envisages a hybrid spaceplane
>using Emdrive technology — see the photo above of a 2-meter scale model. The
>idea is a craft capable of making the 10,000-mile run from London to Sydney,
>Australia in under three hours … or taking a 40-ton payload on the moon in
>about four days.

If the drive works at all, then it works in any direction, not just when pointed
down, hence jet engines are redundant (unless they also supply the power for the
EM drive).

Furthermore being able to compensate for gravity completely implies at least 1 g
of acceleration, but 1 g will get you to the Moon in less than 4 hours, not 4
days (accelerating half way, then decelerating the other half).

...so all we need now is a safe, clean, compact fusion power source. :]

Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk

http://rvanspaa.freehostia.com/Project.html