Terry Blanton wrote:

I understand your objections to the idea of a CF bomb.  However, I must cite
> the history of the laser:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_inversion
>
> The issue is timing.  This is an issue from comedy to fission to fusion.
> Once the process is well understood, creating a synchronous reaction becomes
> somewhat trivial.

Well, I don't know much about physics, but I do not see how this applies.
There has be a mechanism that allows one cold fusion reaction to directly
trigger another, very rapidly. In the case of the laser, from the article
above, the mechanism is described:

"If an atom is already in the excited state, it may be perturbed by the
passage of a photon which has a
frequency<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frequency>ν
21 corresponding to the energy gap Δ*E* of the excited state to ground state
transition. In this case, the excited atom relaxes to the ground state, and
is induced to produce a second photon of frequency ν21. The original photon
is not absorbed by the atom, and so the result is two photons of the same
frequency. . . ."

Photos "perturb" one another by "passage." That's the causal link. In a
fission bomb, a reaction produces neutrons that trigger the next reaction,
and it goes through many generations before the critical mass evaporates.
That's another kind of causal link.

Is there some evidence that CF reactions perturb one another? Sure, but only
by raising the temperature. As I said, that seems too slow and too localized
to lead to a nuclear bomb-scale explosion. They don't emit many neutrons.
They do not have this quality of photos that gives rise to a laser-like
emission from perturbation. (As far as I know they don't.)

I assume the reason you sometimes get an intense reaction is because there
happens to be many deuterons in a perfectly formed NAE all primed to go off.
The environment itself enables them to fuse. The only way to make a bomb --
I suppose -- would be to manufacture a bunch of perfectly formed NAE, and
load it up with deuterons but somehow prevent any reaction from occurring.
Then when it is all set to go, with a huge number of deuterons right on the
verge of reacting, you hit them with a fast traveling stimulus such as a
laser. That pushes them all over the edge en mass, as it were. Most of them
react before the lattice disintegrates.

That might do it. But I do not think you can arrange to have one reaction
trigger several others in a runaway chain reaction. Perhaps you can
orchestrate many events that are independent of one another, and do not
trigger one another, yet all respond perfectly to the stimulus, acting
within nanoseconds (or however long the lattice survives).

Yamaguchi did something like what I have described here, with a gold plated
deuterated Pd foil. It went off all at once. I think he only got it to work
once, and spent years trying to make it happen again. See:

http://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/YamaguchiEcoldfusion.pdf