-0600:
Hi,
[snip]
>Regarding the second comment, what are reliable figures on tapping
>into geothermal energy on an economical scale? Why I bring it up is
>that we are now technologically capable of drilling miles deep for
>oil, including from ocean floors of thousand feet deep, so... I haz to
>ask myself, just how difficult would it be to tap geothermal energy if
>a national program was started?

[snip]
I think the main problem with geothermal is the low thermal conductivity of
rocks. That restricts either the power output or the longevity of the well or
both. Both reduce the cost effectiveness. In those rare places where neither are
a problem geothermal is already used.

Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk

http://rvanspaa.freehostia.com/Project.html