Interestingly if you pitched the idea of Wikipedia to anyone before it
existed and assured them there would be enough interest, the main objection
would be that there would be too much freedom and that it would be full of
far too much crazy out there and just plain moronic info.

Instead of Wikipedia being a "Hippie" I guess due to the audience it
attracted initially most to become editors tend to be more conservative and
really quite skeptical and that is how Wikipedia is.

I think it might well have been the fear it would become full of fringe and
crackpot info causing no one to respect it that has stopped these people
from being corrected, Wikipedia might be overcompensating.

Of course even if Wikipedia were to be corrected where the correct balance
would be for Jed would be different to where I would insist it is.

An encyclopedia can either give a biased answer/opinion/pov/conclusion that
the reader should ignore, or give no answer/opinion/pov/conclusion
presenting all sides letting reader choose.

Perhaps as I suggested earlier Wikipedia is mostly fine as it is but should
have a notice on all articles that cause controversy stating that the reader
should not blindly assume the conclusion in the article is the right one as
this article may be permanently biased and that only in depth research may
assure the reader of his or her own answer..

I have one other thought, people don't always expect to get the truth from
an encyclopedia, people expect to get the "official story" to a degree, it's
not a place you look for the hidden secrets, the newest breakthrough, it's
not where you find original research.
No, it's when you expect to find the most official, most consensus view of
what is even if it's a fabrication as it so often is.