On 02/03/2010 03:26 PM, Jed Rothwell wrote:
> Stephen A. Lawrence wrote:
>
>> Defective fly-by-wire is very scary.  Can you even turn the engine off
>> if the computer isn't listening?
>
> It is very scary, but as far as I know, they haven't made a computer yet
> that does not respond to a hardware interrupt. You can /always/ reset a
> computer.

IBM PC/AT.

Usually, if it got confused, you could hit ^. or ^esc or some such to
bring it back.

Sometimes that didn't work, and you had to do a hard reset, which was
done with Ctl-Alt-Backspace.

But sometimes.............

  ... that didn't work either, nothing at all worked, and you had to use
the big orange toggle switch on the side of the box.