A number of web sites have compared the situation with Wakefield and his claims that vaccines cause autism to the situation with cold fusion. Here is an example; this article has been widely disseminated:

http://www.naturalnews.com/028101_The_Lancet_Dr_Wakefield.html

This is a complicated subject. Many people who feel their cause has been oppressed by mainstream science point to cold fusion as an example of how this happens. Sometimes they are right, but more often they are wrong. Examples of people who are wrong include many "free energy" claims such as magic motors, people trying to overthrow relativity, and some creationist claims. People often compare the situation with Mills to cold fusion, although Mills himself takes pains to distance himself from cold fusion. If his claims are true then I would say the comparison is valid whether he likes it or not.

The thing is, cold fusion is mainstream, replicated legitimate science, whereas the vaccine claims were not replicated, so they are not valid. They are like polywater: they might have been true, but it turns they were not. This distinction is lost on people who advocate the vaccine hypothesis. It is also lost on skeptical scientists who condemn cold fusion without knowing anything about it, such as Professor Jay M. Pasachoff, who professes to be a skeptic. I am skeptical about his skepticism. See:

http://www.berkshireeagle.com/local/ci_14337993

You might say the situation is a mirror image of what these people believe it to be. They think they are on the same side as Fleischmann and Pons, but no cold fusion researcher would agree with them. It can be difficult to draw lines in academic disputes. There were some long-running bitter academic fights in the early days of Darwinian evolution over subjects that could not be decided at the time, because -- for example -- Mendel's laws of heredity had not yet been discovered. In retrospect it is clear that everyone on all sides of these debates was wrong. They simply did not have the knowledge necessary to settle the issue. What interests me is to read original source letters by people like Asa Gray, who was ostensibly opposed to evolution in some ways, although he had tremendous respect for Darwin and they were close friends. Gray's views were complicated and difficult to characterize, especially when you try to characterize them in the light of modern knowledge and modern social conditions (a big mistake).

Wakefield is accused of academic misconduct. Such accusations against the minority party in a academic dispute can be treacherous, as we all know from cold fusion. It appears that Wakefield had undisclosed intellectual property interests in rival vaccine. If so, he may have acted unethically. Still, I would prefer that such accusations be left out of the discussion. Even when a person is guilty as charged, the argument is still ad hominem, so it has no place in a technical debate. To take an imaginary example from cold fusion, even if it were shown that a prominent skeptical opponent was secretly being paid by the plasma fusion program, his arguments would still have be considered on their own merits only, without consideration about what motivated him to raise these arguments. It is difficult to compartmentalize your mind and ignore the fact that the person is a jerk and liar (for hiding his conflict of interest), but you have to do your best.