A bit ambitious as yet. Premature, probably.

This is hot fusion, by the way. Different approach, in theory much more practical for small devices.

Practicality appears unconfirmed. That's the first step.

http://focusfusion.org/index.php/site/category/C30/

History is at http://focusfusion.org/index.php/site/category/C28/

Latest press release shown: http://focusfusion.org/index.php/site/article/lpp_press_release/

No energy data. Did fusion take place? No clue. No data, but lots of hopeful predictions about how swell it will be if this is successful.

The history of hot fusion is littered with hopeful starts that ran into unexpected problems. Just a little more money should fix it.

Will this be different? Well, at least, it seems it's possible to build prototypes and test beds for a lot less than other approaches.

So, my rough and very tentative conclusion, arrived at with much sweat and study: "I dunno." Maybe.

If they are getting fusion, with even a small but significant amount of generated energy, it's hopeful. But they aren't telling us, which means the plan described in the announcement is way premature. It's about how to get this out in the face of, I suspect, massive hostility. Too soon for that!