http://www.physorg.com/news191687359.html

Excerpt:

Muñoz, the paper's primary author, said the "nearly ballistic behavior" of
phonons, quantum particles considered sound's equivalent to light's photons,
makes the graphene material 10 times better than copper or gold at
conducting heat.

---

Back in the 1980s I worked at the Space Astronomy Lab at the University of
Wisconsin, Madison, on a project that eventually flew in a couple of space
shuttle flights. I recall the thermal control instrumentation they were
Thermocouples. They are fascinating devices that depending on which way the
current was flowing you could either heat or cool the device it was attached
to.

I wonder how efficient phonon technology is compared to thermocouple
technology. Apparently, it has lots of other interesting applications as
well.

Regards

Steven Vincent Johnson
www.OrionWorks.com