The article also says:

"These chips store only 1,000 bits of data, but if the new technology fulfills the promise its inventors see, single chips that store as much as today's highest capacity disk drives could be possible in five years."

Amazing! I assume that means 1 or 2 TB of nonvolatile RAM. That will spell the demise of the hard disk industry. Too bad. No technology lasts forever.

Now if they could just make a version of Microsoft Word that runs for a full day without crashing . . . I sense an imbalance in the progress of computers. So much improvement in hardware, and so little in software. That is an opportunity for someone who can figure out how to make reliable yet powerful software.

Software has to be powerful and full featured because even though most people only use a small subset of all available features, each of us uses a different subset. For example, there are probably only a few thousand English native speakers who often use Japanese input and dictionary features, but those of us who use them would be upset if Microsoft removed them. If Microsoft removed this feature we would immediately go to another operating system and word processor -- presumably the Mac. I would go out and buy a top-of-the-line Mac the very day that happens. Microsoft realizes that. They are as much a prisoner of their own overblown feature-itus as the rest of us are, just as IBM became a prisoner of the 360 architecture and could not replace it long after it become obsolete.