Vorts,

The subject pertaining to this post is completely and utterly "OFF TOPIC".
If you're not a cat owner, if you're not interested in the lives and deaths
of felines that share our lives, please feel free to skip this post. Be
forewarned, it was cathartically tinged to write.

Nicky, our 15 year old farm rescued cat died last night. It was a slow and
painful death for Nicky, and I'm still grieving. Due to bad timing, and/or
bad planning on our part we were not able to get him to the vet. The only
facilities available on the weekend would have been the emergency pet
hospital. Not only would it have been several hundreds of dollars just for a
simple shot to euthanize Nicky, we're pretty sure he would not have survived
the car trip because of his rapidly deteriorating condition. It would also
have been an excruciatingly miserable car trip.

For weeks now, his lungs had been slowly giving out... affected by fluid
buildup. We knew this and had made preparations. Up until Sunday he was
still a reasonably happy cat - behaving and acting like a cat, performing
cat duties like catching outside "vermin" as late as last week.

We had planned on taking Nicky to our favorite vet Monday morning to put him
down quickly and painlessly. Unfortunately, Nicky's conditioned rapidly
worsened Sunday night.

Don't know if it really means anything or not, but earlier in the day,
Sunday afternoon, as it was getting dark outside, I went outside to collect
Nicky. We knew this would be the last time we would let him out - outside
where he preferred to be, out in cat "Valhalla". It was getting cold outside
and we didn't want the chill to aggravate his deteriorating condition. I
found him hunched down in one of his favorite spots under a spread of
hostas. Before collecting Nicky I sat down alongside him for several minutes
quietly taking in the view, sharing in the scenery. Nicky seemed ok with
that. He continued his cat vigil, listening to all the sounds about us.
Suddenly, while I was quietly sitting next to him a yellow bird, I think it
was a finch, flew into the nearby bushes adjacent to us and perched on a
branch. It was only four feet away, occasionally ruffling his feathers as if
letting us know it was there. It certainly had to know we were there. I've
never seen a wild bird behave in such a manner before. It was so close to
us. It was as if the bird knew something was up.

After the bird flew away I brought Nicky in and took him upstairs to a quiet
spot in my home office where I could unobtrusively monitor his condition. He
lay on the shag carpet, panting, as I typed away at my computer. Eventually,
just laying on the carpet became too uncomfortable for him. It was then I
realized he was probably not going to make it through the night. I watched
him head for the landing stairs. I knew he wanted to go outside again, back
to his cat "Valhalla". He exhausted himself walking across the carpet, just
to reach the top of the stairs. While Nicky was trying to catch his breath,
Zoey our younger cat had positioned herself at the base of the stairs
looking up at the both of us. She was very concerned. "What's wrong???" her
wide open eyes seemed to keep saying. She obviously heard Nicky's occasional
wails of frustration and pain. She kept very still and watched for a good
fifteen minutes as I kept a vigil on Nicky. We've tried to reassure Zoey.

After a spell Nicky summoned some of his ebbing strength and negotiated his
way down the stairs, down into a secluded bedroom on the first floor. It was
clear he wanted away from everyone. He found a dark spot under a dresser. We
closed the door and turned off the lights to give him privacy. There he
stayed for probably another fifteen minutes till we heard him wail some
more. He now wanted out of the bedroom. He struggled his way to the back
door, to the only exit he understood. It was at the back door where Nicky
had his final confrontation. It was there between labored gasps for air
where he loudly and most vehemently yelled out his final protestation to
leave. I swear, one of his final wails sounded exactly like he was cursing -
cursing us, cursing anyone who might be in earshot: "SHIT! Why won't you let
me out! Damn it! God! Damn it! Damn it all to hell!" He then shuddered, lost
balance and fell over. He lost bladder control, and began convulsing. We sat
next to him as he slowly drifted away. We said our goodbyes and thanked him
for having been such a great cat to the both of us.  We held vigil as he
went through several cyclical convulsions, each one less violent than the
previous one.

What saddens me was the fact that Nicky's last request was to repeatedly ask
his humans to be let outside. He just wanted to hide someplace out in the
woods - away from everyone. It was at our back door where Nicky had asked
for passage to cat "Valhalla". It felt to me as if Odin had simply taken way
too much time getting around to granting Nicky's final request. I have half
a mind to take up the inexcusable bureaucracy this process can occasionally
present us with - with "management" when hopefully I get there myself. Truth
is we were simply afraid that we wouldn't be able to find him if we let him
out. I feel so sorry, wishing I could have done something to make his final
passage easier, certainly less painful. There's no way around the fact that
it was a violent death for Nicky. He basically drowned from fluid buildup
around his lungs. He literally suffocated to death. Having been intimate
witness to this violence continues to reverberate through me.

I was in no shape to go to work today. I called in sick. Lack of sleep had
turned me into a mess.

We buried Nicky's remains, along with a sprig of catnip, in the back yard
close to his brother, Elliott, who preceded him by several years.

Later today as I sat outside on the back porch a neighborhood cat, Domino,
who I'm on good terms with, stopped by to visit me several times. I've
always appreciated his social calls. He even jumped up on my lap for a few
skritches, a request he had never made before. I'm sure Domino was aware of
the fact that something was up in our household, particularly since he had
been hovering nearby when earlier in the day we buried Nicky. Nicky was a
major nemesis to Domino who always chased him back across the street. I told
Domino, it was now up to him to keep our back yard free of "vermin."

Regards,

Steven Vincent Johnson

www.OrionWorks.com

www.zazzle.com/orionworks