At 05:26 PM 10/21/2010, Jed Rothwell wrote:

This one has mistaken claims by David Williams which were tired back in 1994 and which are repeated today ad nauseam by skeptics at Wikipedia and elsewhere:

Mallove, E., Cold Fusion: Still a Hot Topic? Phys. Today, 1994. March: p. 93.

<http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/MalloveEcoldfusion.pdf>http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/MalloveEcoldfusion.pdf

Fascinating to read that letter to Physics Today. Mallove about nuclear products not being found commensurate with the excess heat. Huizenga, the same year, commented on Miles' announcement at ICCF 2 (1991) and refers to the 1993 Miles paper. It was known, but Mallove writes as if that evidence did not exist. It is a strange lacuna.

In general, going over reviews of the field by "believers," I've found that heat/helium has been given short shrift, for the most part. Why?

The correlation cuts through all the BS about calorimetry error, helium leakage, and it presents a problem that appears not to be soluble without a nuclear reaction, and, when quantitative data solidified, it looks very, very strong that the reaction is some kind of dueterium fusion, because of the ration that Storms estimates as 25 +/- 5 MeV. That would have to be much further off than 5 MeV to be anything but strong evidence for deuterium fusion.

And it goes way back. There has been additional confirmation in the last decade, but the basic work was all done before 2000, and the evidence was already strong when Huizenga commented on it. In a perhaps not-so-strange oversight, he neglected to notice what was already obvious in his book: Miles was confirming, in spades, Bush and Lagowski, who confirmed Fleischmann.

Huizenga's only refrain? There were no gamma rays, therefore there could not be any helium. When it came time for him to comment on Bush and Lagowski, he repeated the same canard: no gamma rays, therefore no helium. And, expecting that Miles would not be confirmed -- he saw that the result was "spectacular," he based this on branching ratio and no gamma rays.

In what must remain as a strange additional oversight, something repeated by others as well, Huizenga, on helium, notes that MIT et al didn't find helium. Of course, because they didn't find heat -- or only found a little heat, if the later analyses were correct -- that was to be expected!

Underneath this all was a very obvious assumption: that if there was a nuclear reaction -- Fleischmann had claimed, in his paper, not "fusion," but an "unknown nuclear reaction" -- it must be d-d fusion, because, again and again, he and other skeptics raised the known behavior of d-d fusion as if it were an argument against any "unknown nuclear reaction." This was all an argument from ignorance, taking the position that there could not possibly be any unknown nuclear reactions, but without actually stating that.

So Fleischmann's claim of an unknown reaction, that he had incautiously -- but correctly! -- called "fusion" at the press conference, was to be rejected, not because it was intrinsically impossible, but because it did not have the characteristics of a known reaction.

And if there is an unknown reaction, and if we reject the evidence showing it on the basis that it isn't a known reaction, we will never know about it.

The real question should have been, from the beginning, "What the hell is going on?" Mallove does approach this, but he leans on ridiculing the idea of it being a chemical reaction. Instead, a more sophisticated approach would have been to ask, if this is a chemical reaction, isn't it fascinating? We really should find out about a chemical reaction that behaves like this! Fine. Suppose it's not nuclear. What is it?

There was a strange parochialism in the physics community's response. "We are sure it's not nuclear physics, it's theoretically impossible, so ... it's bogus, and we don't care what it is, not our problem unless it's fusion, which it can't be, end of question." Yet, Fleischmann would have discovered, at the least, a truly remarkable energy storage mechanism, if that's what was going on.

The physicists gave up replication attempts before finding this "energy storage phenomenon," so they never did replicate, truly, and that should have been obvious, at least once there were other reports of excess heat.