On 10/24/2010 10:33 PM, Mauro Lacy wrote:
> We'll probably never know for sure what forces are really exerted
> inside a solid mass, due to the simple fact that bodies don't move
> inside solids. Measurements of acceleration and velocity in the
> gaseous giants, or in Venus's atmosphere, can be very interesting to
> analyze. The problem would be drag, of course. Even if the density
> gradients can be adequately modeled, I assume drag would be very
> difficult to model.

I was thinking that instead of in the gas giants or in Venus,
experiments can also be done in Earth's oceans, in deep lakes, or even
in abandoned drilling holes.
If drag is difficult to model adequately, a static instead of kinematic
approach can be attempted. Putting a sensitive gravimeter inside a
containment chamber, and sinking it to the depths of the ocean,
registering the intensity of the gravitational field at different
depths, should yield very interesting results, which will probably be
unexpected and anomalous based in current theory.

Particularly, I predict that the intensity of the gravitational field
under the surface will continue to take the form of an inverse square
law; that is, will follow a non-linear variation, contrary to current
theory.
Take into account that, playing with different density models for the
Earth's core and mantle, current theory can model the actual increase in
gravity under  the surface. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton%27s_law_of_universal_gravitation#Bodies_with_spatial_extent
and particularly
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Earth-G-force.png

What current theory will not be able to model, at least without
resorting to exotic density models, is the form of the curve. That is,
experiments should focus in the form of the curve more than in the
increase of the field in itself, because the increases can be easily
explained/modeled with adequate density gradient ratios for the core/mantle.
The next step would be to see how exotic the density models must be to
explain the results within standard theory, and particularly, if they
agree with known density data for the crust and outer mantle, if that is
available.

I don't know much about gravimeters, by the way, but this seems to be an
experiment that is not completely out of reach for the determined and
resourceful amateur.

Regards,
Mauro