OrionWorks <s...@orionworks.com> wrote:

> > Sentience, I think, is somewhat easier to define.
>
> > It means having sense perceptions, but I meant it
>
> > in the narrower sense of being self-aware; knowing
>
> > the fact that you are an object in the real world,
>
> > and one object among many.
>

> Goodness gracious me! "Easier to define"? For thousands of years scholars,
> philosophers and religious figures have tried to tackle that quandary with
> questionable degrees of success.

Hey, I said "in the narrower sense." Not the grand philosophical sense you
address: the computer nerd version that can be quantified and expressed in a
single screen-full of code. Computer jargon is full of formerly grand words
derived from exhaled disciplines of math and science. In the context of
"computer science" (an oxymoron) these concepts are reduced to mere
mechanical conditions.

As some cynic put it years ago, artificial intelligence is the product of
artificial intelligentsia.