On 01/08/2011 09:29 AM, Mauro Lacy wrote:
> On 01/08/2011 08:09 AM, John Berry wrote:
>> It is a hacker from China (Beijing?) that hacked my gmail account.
>
> How do you know that?
>>
>> My password was random characters, but I have used the password before.
>>
>> Still I wonder, I just before used a usb wifi device I just squired,
>> it was bough as near new, could it be modded?
>
> It could be, but I think it's improbable. If I'm not mistaken, gmail
> authentication is done over https. To hack that, a man in the middle
> must provide you with forged SSL certificates. That's not impossible,
> and is in fact relatively easy to do (google "ssh man in the middle",
> sshmitm). It's just that I find it too sophisticated just to send spam.

Well, in the name of truth, if it's an usb gadget it could theoretically
install a modified driver in your computer, containing a trojan. That
way it would not be necessary to hijack ssl sessions, a keylogger would
suffice.
A virus/trojan in your computer installed by any other means will have
the same effect.

Regards,
Mauro