> On 01/11/2011 04:43 PM, David Jonsson wrote:
>> Yes, under "effects of centripetal acceleration" which is by the way
>> an erroneous title since it should be centrifugal acceleration.
>
> Don't think so.  In Newtonian terms, the acceleration's centripetal,
> caused by the centripetal force, which is provided by gravity.  The
> "fictitious" centrifugal force is the outward-pointing acceleration of a
> uniformly moving non-rotating object (times its mass) which is observed
> from a rotating frame.  However, in the rotating frame, the acceleration
> you're concerned with -- and the acceleration which leads to the
> "centrifugal force" -- is directed inward, and is "centripetal".

If I didn't understand incorrectly, what David is saying is that when you
determine G empirically, by example by using a scale, centrifugal
acceleration must be discounted, because it's affecting the scale weights.
That is, the scale weights are subjected not only to gravitation, but also
to a centrifugal force, because they are inertial masses in rotation. And
also translation, by the way. To be extremely precise, you would also need
to consider the component of Earth's acceleration around the Sun, and
other accelerations. I suppose all those influences must be much smaller
than variations in G due to ambiental and geographical factors. The same
for the difference between sidereal and solar day, probably.