On 01/20/2011 10:08 AM, Jed Rothwell wrote:
> Pierre Carbonnelle wrote to me:
>
>> Macy's report talks of a Delta OHM # HD37AB1347 Indoor Air
>> Quality Monitor, whose specifications are here
>> <http://www.deltaohm.com/ver2010/uk/st_airQ.php?str=HD37AB1347>.
>>
>> Could this invalidate the dryness measurement ?
>
> Maybe. I don't know enough about the instrument to judge. Maybe the RH
> function works even though it is out of the recommended range. I'll
> see if I can ask the guy who used it.

I'm still confused over this.  How do you use a relative humidity meter
to measure dryness of steam?

Pure steam at 100 C should have a RH of 100%, since its vapor pressure
at that temperature is 1 atmosphere.  At 101 C the RH will be marginally
lower, but maybe not enough of a difference to detect with this
instrument.  How would entrained water droplets change that?

Or is the argument that 101 C steam is sufficiently superheated that it
can't carry liquid water along?  That doesn't sound right, though; it
doesn't seem like it would be hot enough.