>From Jed:

> WARNING TO ALL OUR READERS: THE REPORT OF THE UNIVERSITY OF
> BOLOGNA WILL BE DELIVERED MONDAY , JAN 24, ANYTIME.
> YOU WILL FIND IT ON THE JOURNAL OF NUCLEAR PHYSICS AND WE
> ALREADY GIVE TO EVERYBODY TO REPRODUCE IT EVERYWHERE, FOR
> ANY PURPOSE, FREE.
> WARM REGARDS,
> THE BOARD OF ADVISERS OF THE JOURNAL OF NUCLEAR PHYSICS
>
> Dear Luigi,
> Yes there will be a Scientist talking about us [at ICCF16], no demo anyway:
> no more demos before the start up of the 1 MW plant.
> Warm Regards,

...and so most of use who reside in the honorable peanut gallery
section will wait with baited breath for January 24 to roll around,
"ANYTIME" soon. I certainly hope UoB's highly anticipated report will
put to rest many concerns. I'm a patient man. I can wait a little
longer. ;-)

OTOH, I suspect the statement, "no more demos before the start up..."
is likely to frustrate many - perhaps rightly so. It strikes me
primarily as being a strategic corporate maneuver. Expressing an
opinion similar to the lines of Jed's commentary, I too suspect
corporate maneuvering of this nature will eventually turn out to be a
futile attempt to establish complete and total dominance of the CF
field from the ground floor. More glory to the Roman Empire, or not.

Assuming they eventually do let the cat out of the bag, I suspect good
old fashion corporate espionage and reverse engineering are likely to
end up spreading-the-wealth in no time flat. Seems to me that it will
be inevitable that espionage and reverse engineering will feverishly
occur, ESPECIALLY in many developing countries where the desperate
need for such devices will make a huge impact on living conditions of
the local population. Shoot! Actually, it doesn't have to be illegal
at all. All a smart-ass engineer has to do is tweak a copy of the
original reactor just enuf to make it different and a new patent can
be filed. Patent permutations are likely to start happening at
blinding speeds. As Jed has already eloquently expressed, even if it
might seem insulting at first glance the truth of the matter is that
collecting 1% of a trillion dollar business is nothing to sneeze at!

Granted, and in respectful deference to Mr. Lawrence's continued
concerns about recent proceedings, they do not strike me personally as
the actions of a scam operation in progress. It strikes me more as
corporate maneuvering to position themselves at the top of the pecking
order. (We are, after all, a very competitive species.) Yes, I realize
I could still turn out to be amazingly wrong on most if not all
points, but I'm not inclined to think so based on what I've gleaned
between the lines so far.

Regards
Steven Vincent Johnson
www.OrionWorks.com