At 08:43 AM 2/7/2011, Ron Kita wrote:
Greetings Vortex,

I still cannot  believe that Clorox acquired Burts Bees Wax for
925 million. I tried to find some lower numbers, none were found. Will keep looking..it is so incredible.
<http://www.newser.com/article/d9l66eg00/clorox-2nd-quarter-earnings-fall-on-burts-bees-charge-revenue-declines-post-swine-flu.html>http://www.newser.com/article/d9l66eg00/clorox-2nd-quarter-earnings-fall-on-burts-bees-charge-revenue-declines-post-swine-flu.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/06/business/06bees.html says $913 million. Close enough for folk music.

the story is pretty simple:

From 2000 to 2007, Burt's Bees' annual revenue soared to $164 million from $23 million.

They bought for less than six year's revenue, but also on an expectation that it would continue to grow. Apparently it has.

This isn't big money in big business. For perspective, it's only a few dollars for everyone in the U.S., and even further short if we consider the worldwide market.

Cold fusion money is waiting for a killer application. A lot of money has been spent trying to scale the effect up, without success, so far. Without a demonstrated theory that can be used to predict device behavior, engineering is very difficult, so the main task ahead of us is to reverse the general impression among theoretical physicists that CF is pure bogosity, because what's needed right now is far more intense theoretical work, leading to experimental predictions that are then tested.

The biggest loss in 1989-1990 was the possibility of massive theoretical investigation. To be fair, there wasn't enough evidence ready at first, that the ash was helium was not known and was not expected from the lack of gammas. But that situation shifted, and the Storms review, "Status of cold fusion (2010)," is crucial as a wedge into the consciousness of physicists. That review follows and seals an obvious publishing decision by Sprinter-Verlag and Elsevier to being publishing work in the field, and they are the two largest scientific publishers in the world.

From my point of view, the battle is over, but the "enemy" hasn't realized it yet. Shanahan is complaining that he can't get published any more. No negative reviews have been published in the last six years, only a single crank letter from Shanahan, that the Journal of Environmental Monitoring published, my guess, to bash the skeptics thoroughly and completely with the response that they copublished from the Most Notable Researchers in Cold Fusion, et al.... which was, for the editors, the End of the Question. Next case?