OrionWorks - Steven V Johnson wrote:

My heart goes out to you and any family, extended family, friends and
associates you  might know living in Japan. When you can please let us
know the status of Japan from your unique perspective and knowledge
base.

We have Japanese readers here with a lot more knowledge than me!

I have been glued to live NHK broadcasts this morning.

I am shocked by the fact that many people were killed despite the extensive tsunami warning systems. I do not understand how that could have happened. There are two systems: earthquake warning and tsunami warning. The earthquake warning systems are experimental, and there is little time between the detection of preliminary earthquake shocks and the larger shocks. But this occurred far offshore so it took a while for the waves to reach the shore. There was time to dispatch news helicopters! Despite that, as you must have seen by now, there were people and cars driving along swept away by the tsunami. There were stupid people going to the shore to have a look. The NHK announcers were repeating warnings 8 hours later: "Do not go the shore. It is still dangerous. Head for high ground."

I expect overall casualties will be low, considering that this is the biggest earthquake ever detected in modern history in Japan. The 1995 Kobe earthquake killed 5,100. I doubt that many were killed today, but it is too early to tell.

The financial cost must be astounding.

The Fukushima nuclear plant does not seem to be in acute danger. They are having trouble shutting it down, for lack of auxiliary power. Fossil fuel plants and storage facilities have caused a lot more damage and fatalities so far, from fire.