Dennis wrote:

having seen some of these things played out..... it could be that he doesn't know how it works. It may be very much material dependent and he has but a little of "the good stuff" left and doesn't
know why batch 3 and 4 (pick some numbers) work and the new ones don't.
Now he is trying to make smaller ones to conserve the material and save face.

. . .

I know that with CETI, they thought they had it, and then when the good batches ran out.........

That worries me. But Rossi seems confident that he can produce ~100 L which is approximately how much they need for the 1 MW reactor.

I do not get the sense he is trying to conserve material. He has several gadgets under construction and in various places, some that he has talked about and others I have heard rumors of. He had no problem giving Essen and Kullander samples of new and used Ni material. The used material was from one of the reactors that reportedly ran for months. Those samples were probably small, but the fact that he had any from a device that ran for an extended time is good, and the fact that he willingly parted with the samples is better. CETI did not do that, did they? Not as far as I know.

Ed Storms predicted that batch-to-batch variations in the catalyst will be their biggest headache. That seems likely to me.

I suppose that setting up a factory to manufacture the catalyst in large amounts will be the biggest single expense for Defkalion. I assume they will want to manufacture it in-house. I doubt they would want to outsource a critical material for a factory intended to produce 300,000 units a year. (Eventually, not the first day!) If I were in charge of the factory I would want that production right there, where tight control over production and inventory can be maintained. I suppose they might farm out material for the first few thousand units.