Mark Iverson <zeropo...@charter.net> wrote:

Ever look at how a steam locomotive boiler is constructed?  The flow is
> straight thru and the heat xfer surface area is many many times the surface
> area of the outer enclosing cylinder.  I posted a reply about this and
> attached a jpeg, but I guess Bill hasn't had time to let it thru the
> filter.  Come to think about it, a nuclear reactor core looks similar, but
> is vertically oriented instead of horizontal...

Exactly. Nothing fancy about them. No fins. Made of steel, the internal
temperature is coal combustion temperature (1500 to 3200°C).

You cannot upload images here. The limits are 40 KB. You can find any number
of images of these like this:

http://www.google.com/search?q=fire+tube&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=999&bih=1262

They used to have fire tubes (with the fire in the tube and the water
surrounding, and water tubes (vice versa). A fission reactor core resembles
the former. I think water tubes are no longer used.

Here is a fire tube boiler:

http://www.directindustry.com/prod/loos/fire-tube-superheated-water-boilers-7270-50109.html

More detail, including a schematic of the fire tube:

http://www.loos.de/loos/asp/Main.asp?nLanguageId=1&nPageId=1001

http://www.loos.de/loos/pdf/broschueren/Heisswasser_en.pdf

120°C. "Generates hot water in a range from 650 up to 19,200 kW at low
temperature and pressure level." It burns "LFO" (?) or gas.