Jones Beene <jone...@pacbell.net> wrote:

> However, there are much larger deposits called laterites which are lower
> grade, and seldom mined due to comparative cost.

I do not know about nickel, but some types of ore are not mined because it
takes a lot of energy to mine and separate the ore. With cold fusion, these
ores could be mined in a cost effective manner. If this nickel ore can be
extracted with lots of energy, then Rossi-style cold fusion energy overhead
would be increased. It would be lower than the overhead for oil, which is
reportedly 10% to 20%, depending on the type of oil and where it is
extracted.