When the first European explorers asked how the huge stone on Easter Island
were moved, they were told that they walked there; I, for one, believe this is
the case.  There are stories of large stones being made to "float" above the
ground. I ran across a website where a man was casting large stones for his
life-sized "Stonehenge;" true to tradition, after casting them on one side of
his property, moved and erected them, on the other size of the property. (Not a
real big piece of ground.) by himself without any modern pulleys or levers of
any kind.
Underneath each block, on either side of the balance point he inserted a knob
and then a second knob. (I'm not sure what he used, but a trailer hitch knob
would help us visualize.) He could effortlessly tilt the enormous blocks in any
direction.  He would swing the block around so that one knob was in front of
the other, then he would pivot on the knob in front until the other knob swung
around to the front and so-on.
He raised the upright stones by walking them out over a pit until he could
rotating one end up above the pit while the other end rotated down into the
pit; again, this could be done by one person with amazingly little effort.
Finally, he could raise the lintels onto to the posts by tilting and inserting
blocks alternately under each knob, with stack of blocks at the two ends to
make certain that the stone never tipped too far.
I think these stones, which Fran mentioned,  would be better pivot points than
ball bearings. Maybe the only difference between the two kinds is some got
used, which smoothed them down to a smaller size.
Scott

ate: Thu, 12 May 2011 17:09:08 -0400