Part 3

On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 8:45 PM, Abd ul-Rahman Lomax
<a...@lomaxdesign.com>wrote:

lomax>>>The original report of neutrons was artifact. The recent reports are
at levels vastly lower, but well above background.

cude>>Presumably you are referring to the CR-39 results, but these have been
observed by one group only, and the results have been challenged as to
whether they are in fact above background, and/or caused by artifacts.

lomax> "Have been challenged" covers a multitude of comments. Yes, there is
only one group reporting this result, […]

> There are some very cogent and serious objections to the early SPAWAR
CR-39 work, […]

So far, we're in pretty good agreement.

>> A project led by Krivit with a number of groups involved, and
pretentiously named the Galileo project, failed to confirm the CR-39
results.

> That, again, isn't true. Where is that conclusion found?

Krivit desperately tried to salvage something positive in his final report
of the project. It turns out that interpretation of the results is not so
unambiguous, that the brand of material affects results, that chemical
attacks on the material produce artifacts. Some of the participants
concluded evidence for nuclear reactions was absent, and Krivit was left
with the following pathetic consolation:

"Everyone who has reported results has found something anomalous, something
that they have had difficulty explaining by conventional science, and all of
their experiments are giving results, however mystifying they may be."

In the best tradition of pathological science, definitive results were just
out of reach.

> However, to me, the Earthtech results, which were not included in Krivit's
report on Galileo, were the best documented, and Scott Little comes up with
chemical damage as explaining what he found. It's a complex issue. There is,
in the earlier SPAWAR work, CR-39 results that look like radiation tracks,
and results that look like chemical damage, and no good analysis was done to
discriminate these, in my opinion. Not yet, anyway.

Like I said… the results have not been confirmed.

> What Cude glosses over is that the Galileo results have nothing to do with
the topic, neutrons.

Whatever. They were looking for nuclear events, and did not find conclusive
evidence. Neutrons are nuclear events.

>> So even these results, which in any case cannot explain the claimed heat,
are far from convincing.

> Heat isn't even measured in these experiments.

So what. Heat has been claimed in similar systems, but the claimed neutrons
are orders of magnitude below the level that could explain heat. So,
whatever's going on, it doesn't explain the heat. So now you have at least
two nuclear reactions that are only remotely likely going on. I'll take your
remote chance of Rossi being a fraud and square it.

>> Cude has "proof" on the brain, he's got an argument going on, all the
time. No claim was made that the neutron results were "convincing," and the
point was only that, if neutrons are produced, there are very few.

You said at the start of this:

> The recent reports are at levels vastly lower, but well above background.

Well above background should be convincing.

Anyway, not too long ago you wrote:

> Positive publication has exploded since 2004, […] including some stunning
reports, such as conclusive evidence of very low level neutron emissions
from certain CF cells,

So, *you* have claimed the results are convincing. You should make up your
mind.

> Lots of people consider the SPAWAR work convincing, as to neutrons, but
there is, indeed, an obvious problem, the lack of independent replication.

Right. Just like in all CF experiments.

>> Cold fusion experiments simply never get past marginal, controversial,
and dubious.

> Notice the absolute insanity of this. Cude has dismissed conclusive
correlation, and reviewing the literature, there is plenty of exhaustive,
careful work, demonstrating the effect beyond a reasonable doubt.

False. You may have no doubt. But most people doubt, including the DOE panel
who took the time to examine the evidence.

> But it's work to read that literature and to understand it, and someone
like Cude isn't likely to put in the work, and he will filter everything
through the lens of his expectations.

This is CF's problem, isn't it? And this actually confirms my "insane"
statement that CF experiments are all marginal, controversial, and dubious.
It takes work to read and understand that CF can produce GJ of energy per
gram of material on a desktop at accessible temperatures, even while proving
a million times less energy from a match head is child's play. If the claims
were valid, it would not be so difficult, so marginal, so controversial, so
dubious. It would be obvious.

> He's searching for error, for something he can pounce upon, and he will
always be able to find it,

Like Rothwell has said in this forum: a small isolated device indefinitely
warmer than the surroundings would be difficult to dispute. I've said the
same. So far CF hasn't produced it.

> Rossi *has* changed the picture. The prior claimed results were
low-level.

There are some previous claims of 1 kW or more.

> Even though the prior heat results were very clear, and clearly above
noise, and clearly, when carefully analyzed, not artifact, the levels were
low enough (like 5% of input power, say, in certain SRI work) that it was
quite possible to hold on to an interpretation that there was something
being overlooked.

Come on. Now you're deliberately picking poor results to make Rossi look
better. There are plenty of claims of 100W or more, and gains of 20 or 30,
and some infinite. The problem is, there is always input, or at least the
absence of input is not made obvious.

> That isn't possible with Rossi. For the first time, this is either real or
it is a positive fraud, simulating heat generation by a number of possible
devices. As has been pointed out, there have been a series of
demonstrations, and if they were all identical, every reasonable fraud
mechanism has been ruled out.

Except for the private 18-hour experiment, the demos have all been producing
steam. That allows a 6-fold exaggeration of the output power, if most of the
water comes out as a mist. The flow rates have never been monitored, and in
the 10 kW demo, it seems likely that it was exaggerated by a factor of 2 or
3. The average input power was exaggerated in the 10 kW demo by a factor of
at least 2.  The input power was monitored in the 10 kW demo, but not the
other demos. And the H-Ni, or whatever else is in there, probably produces a
little chemical heat. The combination of all these factors easily accounts
for the reported temperatures.

Only the claimed measurements in the 18-hour experiment are at least
consistent with a claim of excess energy. But those are reported only
orally, by the inventor and his grantee, there is no photographic evidence,
and it has peculiar features like a very high, and completely unnecessary
flow rate, and the excursion to 130 kW, which as I said before seems
implausible, given the reactor temperature that would be necessary.

> There is no end to this, except multiple and completely independent
replication, which is where science goes, necessarily.

A convincing, visual demo of 10 kW and GJ/g that requires no expert
observers should be very easy to design for someone like Rossi. That he
hasn't done so suggests the claims are bogus.

> If Rossi is real, this will blow the cold fusion skeptics out of the
water, not that anyone will care about the skeptics any more.

That would indeed be terrific. Unfortunately, he needs more than your hope
and confidence.

> Cude thinks that the physicists who have witnessed demonstrations are
gullible.

I don't know and I don't care if they are gullible, incompetent, deceptive,
or senile. I just want to see evidence. Not hear about evidence from
hand-picked people. Is that too much to ask?

> No, Cude is gullible, easily fooled by his own thinking, which he believes
in firmly. Classic error, shades of Feynman.

I'm happy to be compared to Feynman. But what error are you referring to? He
clearly didn't know of the danger of keeping that engine unplugged, but he
was right that it was fraudulent.

> "aleklett" is a true skeptic, and is to be congratulated. He's very
clearly stated the matter. If this isn't a fraud, something is going on that
existing theory does not explain. Isn't that fascinating?

I hold this attitude only for the 18-hour experiment. If their numbers are
right, i.e. it is not fraud, something interesting is going on. In all the
other demos, even the numbers we are privy to can be understood without a
new energy source.

> *Even if it is a fraud,* it's fascinating, the sheer chutzpah of it! How
the hell did he do this, if it's a fraud?

Not really new at all. There are all sorts of precedents from Mills to
Dardik to the GWE to the Papp engine and on and on. True believers are a
dime a dozen. Some even believed the rapture was upon us this weekend.
That's what took me so long to reply...