Jones Beene <jone...@pacbell.net> wrote:

> I thought OCR would make a more compact file, but apparently not.

This is an OCR layer added underneath an image file. The image file is
intact, so the whole thing is bigger.

This is a messy way to do things. To do it properly you dump the image of
the text and replace them with ASCII. You preserve only the figures in image
format. You redo the entire document in Microsoft Word, and then create a
fresh PDF. That is what I did for hundreds of documents. I am sick of doing
it. It is no longer as necessary because people nowadays have fast
connections and they can download huge files.

When I replace text images with ASCII with no corrections, this document
falls to ~1.8 MB. The quality is remarkably good, considering, but it would
take a couple of days to make it presentable.