On 11-06-21 02:27 PM, Terry Blanton wrote:
On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 1:30 PM, Stephen A. Lawrence<sa...@pobox.com>  wrote:

But just sending gas up a vertical pipe is certainly not enough to either
clean or dry it.
How does it leave the surface of a liquid and remain a liquid?
Splashing.  (At any rate, that's certainly one way.)

  Even
with evaporation, it's only the molecules with enough kinetic energy
to overcome the liquid phase intermolecular forces that can leave the
liquid.

Boiling water tends to do a lot of splashing, and a lot of liquid water gets projected into the air.

I don't know, I'm waving my hands. None the less, the folks who designed steam locomotives seemed to think it was common to have wet steam. They cared enough about the issue to put in special steam dryers, which were, as the link I posted showed, a lot more complicated than a simple vertical pipe.

Folks who are trying to comply with EN 285 worry about this kind of thing, too.

Obviously, I don't understand the basics of phase transition.

Sure you do -- enough for this, anyway. You just don't understand all the stuff the liquid water does at the boundary between air and water when a violent phase transition is taking place.

And neither do I, that's for sure.

The only solid thing I've gotten out of this so far is that, if the steam was dry, then the only clear temperature graph I've seen looks totally wrong, and, furthermore, if the steam was dry with no spitting, then there is not a shred of a sensible explanation for how (or why) the effluent temperature should have been nailed to boiling.

Perhaps I spend too much time looking at graphs (it's part of what I do for my job, BTW). Perhaps I'm overconfident. But when a graph seems to want to tell me "A!", and an expert is telling me "B!", my immediate reaction is to wonder how the expert got it wrong...

And if the steam wasn't dry, then at this point I sure don't trust Rossi, Levi, or Galantini, not one little bit.

I will be seriously amazed if a *convincing* no-input demo is done, as Jones says should happen on Thursday.

OTOH if an in-private no-input test is done, which is enough to convince Rossi and Levi and maybe Galantini, but nobody else is at the party, I, for one, won't be convinced of anything.