At 08:08 PM 6/22/2011, Jed Rothwell wrote:
Joshua Cude <<mailto:joshua.c...@gmail.com>joshua.c...@gmail.com> wrote:

So, what specifically do you think that g/kg means in the context of a 2-phase mixture of steam and water?

What do you use for the denominator to calculate the total mass of the steam?

If it means the mass of water vapor per unit mass of water vapor, then it should be 1000 g / kg. How do you use that?

If 10% by mass is liquid water then it would be 900 g/kg. That's the whole point. How could it measure enthalpy or partial pressure of vapour if it doesn't know how much vapour there is?

It measures the enthalpy of vapor by measuring water vapor. RH meters measure vapor pressure of water, comparing it with saturation at the given pressure and temperature. The meter "knows" how much vapor is present, in terms of vapor pressure, by how much vapor is absorbed by a capacitor, as Cude has, I believe correctly, explained.

If it means the mass of water vapor per unit mass of total fluid, how could a device that measures humidity (i.e. wetness of air) determine that?

You are not making sense.

Not me. Complain to instrument manufacturer or Galantini.

I don't see grounds to complain to either. What claims have they made to complain about? Nobody, here, has pointed to an actual claim by Galantini. It's all about what others have said about Galantini, such as Levi or Rossi. Galantini claimed to use a certain meter. He has not explained exactly how he used it.

What we don't see is how to use that meter to measure steam quality. He hasn't explained how he did it. The manufacturer does not explain how to use the meter to measure steam quality, it is not at all a claimed application, and it seems to conflict with the meter specifications.