Josh:

Would not any material with a significant heat capacity cause a sort of a
low-pass filter effect;
delaying and smoothing out the temperature fluctuations???

Well we have three material in this system that have high specific heats:
 - In the reactor we have water (4.18) and hydrogen gas (14).
 - if we're talking about the output of steam from the hose, then the hose
itself has a heat
capacity that is about half (2) that of water.

I covered this in a previous post...

So when the reactor fluctuates to the high side, most of that energy is
absorbed by the hydrogen and
or water, and when it fluctuates down, that enregy gets released... not unlike
what happens in an
electrical capacitor if tailored properly to the behavior of the electrical
circuit. The NET result
is a fairly steady temperature 'downwind' from the reactor in the chimney's
vapor.

-Mark