Here is a technological hoax that bamboozled $150 million from high
officials in oil companies and governments. I did not realize such large,
high-level hoaxes existed:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Oil_Sniffer_Hoax

A skeptic suggested to me that Defkalion might be something like this. I
doubt it. I do not think anything in cold fusion resembles this. The closest
thing to it is plasma fusion, such as the ITER project, which most outside
experts think has no chance of technological or commercial success. However,
the experimental results from plasma fusion are real, beyond question.