Abd ul-Rahman Lomax <a...@lomaxdesign.com> wrote:

> There is no other way to be sure you have a cold fusion effect in the first
>> place. There is no point to testing a cell that is not producing heat.
>>

> That's not *entirely true*, but it is a huge caveat. In the early days,
> lots of experiments were done where they didn't even look for heat, they
> looked for "nuclear products." Hey, if it's fusion, there have to be
> "nuclear products," eh?

This experiment was electrochemical Pd-D circa 1990. Back then the only
practical way to confirm that the reaction was happening was to measure heat
or tritium. Pam Boss can now measure neutrons, but that's a different story.

There were other techniques back then such as cryogenic gas loaded Ti chips
done at BARC that could produce a definite sign of a nuclear reaction
besides heat.

> Sure. Like helium. But, as Jed is implying, no heat, no reaction--
> probably!, it's possible there was some and you might detect certain
> possible nuclear products -- but if you don't see nuclear products, you have
> demonstrated, with considerable effort, nothing.

Actually, I was thinking more of diagnostics. It is easier to measure heat
than helium. Tritium is sporadic. The cryogenic Ti produces a burst reaction
which is not what you want when trying to detect neutrinos. You want a
steady reaction, I think.

Anyway there was never the slightest chance this particular experiment would
work. As I said, it was amateur. There was a photo published in the mass
media of the researchers holding the Pd cathode up to the camera with their
bare fingers just before launching the test. That ensures massive
contamination from skin oil and the like. The photo made it clear that the
other hardware in the experiment was filthy by the standards of
electrochemistry. In electrochemistry you have have to take pains to ensure
cleanliness. I mean 2 or 3 days of cleaning and preparation. Also, I have it
on pretty good authority that they confused the anode (+) and the cathode
(-).

The only experiment dirtier than this that I know of was done by the late
Tom Droege. He worked in his basement. He showed me a slide of his cathode
surface, and the conversation when like this:

ME: "What are those fibers? They seem to be galvanized on to the surface."

TOM: "Cat hairs. The cat you see in the other slide likes to sleep on the
calorimeter, because it's warm."