On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 12:17 PM, Abd ul-Rahman Lomax
<a...@lomaxdesign.com>wrote:

> At 06:47 AM 7/21/2011, Damon Craig wrote:
>
>> OK. So no one has looked closely at the goofy temperature curve in the
>> Levi report of the December 16, 2010 demonstration which he claimed was
>> evidence of an exothermic reaction (and cold fusion).
>>
>  There is a copy of the report at http://freeenergydocs.com/wp-**
> content/uploads/2011/02/Levi-**and-Bianchini-Reports.pdf<http://freeenergydocs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Levi-and-Bianchini-Reports.pdf>
> .
>

>> Here's an analysis I wrote a few weeks ago:
>>

>> In his report Levi claimed the temperature curve of the output as evidence
>> of an exothermic reaction. This bold and bewildering deduction lead many of
>> us to believe he possessed inside information he was not at the time
>> sharing. At the same he did not share information, if he had it, as to how
>> the input heat may have been varied over time.
>>

> Aw, c'mon. It's bold only because the very claim that the device exists is
> bold. The chart does show evidence of two shifts in heat production.
>
> OK, we agree.

 A pot of water placed on the stove undergoes three phases: warming,
>> simmering and boiling. The temperature curve reported could be described by
>> more common physics in the following scenario.
>>

>> We can identify at least 4 different modes of heating in the Rossi device
>> with different effects on a thermometer measuring liquid in the chimney.
>>

>> 1) The device is divided into two zones; vertical and horizontal. The
>> internal chamber within the horizontal zone restricts water flow between
>> these two zones.
>>

>> An internal heater within the "reaction" chamber and an external band
>> heater supply heat to the horizontal zone.
>>

> While two heaters is possible, it's not what is reported. The description
> here is a bit garbled. There are two chambers, the reaction chamber and the
> cooling chamber. There may be a third chamber, a closed coolant chamber that
> transfers heat from the reaction chamber to the cooling chamber. I think
> it's been said that this is a solution of water and some dissolved chemical
> that raises the boiling point.
>
> This extra cooling chamber sounds like some flight of fancy, imagined to
explain some peculiar observation. I don't think it's relevant, nor does
it's inclusion fit the profile of the device.

> If I'm correct, the external band heater supplies heat to the reaction
> chamber, which then implies that either the reaction chamber is at one end,
> or the reaction chamber surrounds the cooling chamber(s). I'm not looking at
> all the released information. But I've seen nothing that would indicate a
> second heater, though it's obviously not impossible.
>
> The external band heater supplies heat to the copper water jacket. The
reaction chamber is in the bulbous portion of the horizontal section,
constructed of 316 SS according to Rossi. In best reverse design estimates
it consists of a 1/2 standard class 3000, 316 SS "T", although Rossi is a
bit nutty so could be using class 150 (150 psi rating). See for example
McMaster Car part number 4443K644

http://www.mcmaster.com/#stainless-steel-pipe-fittings-and-pipe/=da8d5t

The internal cartridge heater is evidenced by the two fibre glass insulated
wires protruding from the pressure vessel. See Rossi's international patent
appication for confirmation.

Two pipe nipples, a plug then reduction fittings to accommodate the
cartridge heater complete a chamber that dictates the profile of the copper
jacket we've all become familiar with.

Pierce by a 12 mm. diameter cartridge heater the T fitting has a capacity of
113 grams Ni powder assuming a density of 6.9 g/cm^w3.

>  2) As heat is initially supplied, there is a relatively small rate of
>> temperature increase in the vertical zone through convection of water, and
>> conduction through the metal parts.
>>

> At this point, the theory goes, the heat is not being efficiently
> transferred to the chimney part of the cooling chamber.
>

>  3) During a second phase, in which the average water temperature is below
>> the boiling point, the water simmers on the heated surfaces. The agitation
>> provided by simmering increases the rate of convective heat transfer from
>> the horizontal to the vertical zone. dT/dt increase.
>>

> I'm a bit surprised to see a sharp knee if the cause of increased dT/dt is
> "simmering." That would generally have slow onset, I'd think, as bubble
> generating increases.
>
> Good point of disagreement. It seems the first knee would have a large
curvature.

>  4) During a third phase, after the water temperature in the horizontal
>> member reaches its boiling point, a steam bubble collects in the bulb of the
>> horizontal member. Hot water is forced into the vertical member, and dT/dt
>> of the vertical zone increases once again. The steam bubble quickly
>> overflows and steam enters into the vertical column.
>>

> Sure, it is possible to construct scenarios where shifts in rate of
> temperature rise depends on something other than heat generation. This much
> I'll agree with. It's an interesting idea.
>
> A far stronger statement than yours can be made: The geometry in question
dictated that the rate of temperature increase has phases and is increasing
up to nearly 100C. d^2T/dt^2 >0