bell soon to toll for Rossi debacle, Steven B. Krivit definitive
technical review, with able collaborators, due in a few days: Rich
Murray 2011.07.29

A fine example of how cogent, pertinent, rapid scientific
collaboration can now operate freely and for free via the Net...

"The effects of the June 20 video and my early brief reports have been
very interesting. When I published the video, I made not one comment
about its content, let alone any kind of report or analysis. Within
two weeks, 20,000 people had watched the video and more than 50 people
sent me their comments and analyses of what they saw in it. Some of
those commentaries went into great detail and depth. The knowledge and
technical skills of the writers was self-evident."

http://wp.me/pV5rZ-ew
http://blog.newenergytimes.com/2011/07/29/new-energy-times-report-3-on-rossi-device-coming-soon/

New Energy Times Report #3 on Rossi Device Coming Soon
Steven B. Krivit | July 29, 2011 at 09:02 | Categories: Uncategorized

"Issue 37 of New Energy Times will publish within the next few days....

...I made my own trip to see Rossi, Focardi and their associate
Giuseppe Levi, a physicist with the University of Bologna, on June 14
and 15.

On June 16, I published a preliminary trip report, and on June 21, I
published a slightly edited final version of my Report #1 - First
Report of Interviews With E-Cat Trio.

On June 20, I published a video from my trip to Bologna in which Rossi
explains his energy catalyzer.

On June 28, I published my Report #2 - Energy Catalyzer: Scientific
Communication and Ethics Issues, and I told readers that my next
report would review the technical matters and my concerns about the
trio's claims. I realize that, in today's world of Twitter and
texting, one month seems like an interminable wait for some people.
Thank you for your patience. The wait is almost over.

The effects of the June 20 video and my early brief reports have been
very interesting. When I published the video, I made not one comment
about its content, let alone any kind of report or analysis. Within
two weeks, 20,000 people had watched the video and more than 50 people
sent me their comments and analyses of what they saw in it. Some of
those commentaries went into great detail and depth. The knowledge and
technical skills of the writers was self-evident.

Report 3 thus became a very unusual report because these contributors
did the bulk of the scientific and technical analysis. This was not my
original intention, but they beat me to the work. Most of the
contributors had specific training or experience with thermodynamics.
In my role as an editor, if I did not personally know the contributor,
I confirmed the person’s identity and got to know the person a bit in
all but one case. The New Energy Times team worked with these
contributors and edited their various analyses, and these now compose
the bulk of the three dozen appendices to Report 3. These appendices
also contain the hard scientific and technical information on which I
have based most of Report 3. More-technical readers may wish to skip
my Report #3 and jump straight to the appendices.

Readers will notice that some of these contributors have made
different estimates of the same parameters of the Rossi experiment.
Because Rossi has not made many of these parameters public, the
contributors' independent estimations reasonably could be different.
Readers will also find overlap in some of the topics covered by the
contributors in the appendices. The New Energy Times team has done its
best to reduce the overlap, but because all contributions were offered
to us independently and without a coordinated effort, avoiding overlap
was not entirely possible. As much as possible, we have sequenced the
appendices logically.

I am working on the final editing of the three hours of videotaped
interviews I made with Rossi, Focardi, Levi, University of Bologna
physicist David Bianchini and blogger Daniele Passerini. I will send
out another announcement when the videos are ready.

I have set up a dedicated Web page, "Andrea Rossi and His
Energy-Catalyzer (E-Cat)," that will list all of the New Energy Times
reports as well as other related information. I expect to write one
follow-up report on the Rossi story in which I will provide more
information about my journalistic process in this story. I intend to
comment on my experience with the key sources of this story and offer
some reflections. I also intend to note some of my observations about
the response I have seen from people involved in the LENR research
field....

http://blog.newenergytimes.com/2011/07/29/possible-low-or-no-levels-of-excess-heat-in-rossi-device/

Possible Low or No Levels of Excess Heat in Rossi DevicePosted on July
29, 2011 by Steven B. Krivit

Does Italian inventor Andrea Rossi’s device produce heat beyond that
which is possible by chemistry? The device may produce some excess
heat, but not nearly at the levels claimed by Rossi and his
collaborators Sergio Focardi and Giuseppe Levi. In fact, the heat
released from the experiment appears to be several orders of magnitude
less than what they have claimed, at best.

Last year, Rossi and Focardi claimed an energy gain of 212 times. This
year, Rossi downgraded that to six. Our analysis shows a possible
energy gain of one to two times. In other words, Rossi’s device
probably produces Watts, not kilowatts, of power. It may, in fact,
produce zero excess heat. We cannot know with confidence because of
the poor data collection and reporting.

Our forthcoming Report #3 will review the facts in detail.